Based in London, England
March 9, 2021
Winning several E3 'Best of Show' awards and nominations, in addition to featuring in showcases with IGN, Gamescom, PAX, Indie MEGABOOTH, The Escapist and BitSummit, Stronghold: Warlords is Firefly Studios' latest entry in the classic 'castle sim' series. For the first time ever Stronghold: Warlords allows you to recruit, upgrade and command AI lords directly across the battlefield in the form of in-game ‘Warlords’. Each warlord under your command boosts your strategic prowess with their own unique perks, characteristics and upgradeable abilities. Put them to work for your industry, fortifying borders, forging weapons or team up for a pincer attack! Each campaign mission, skirmish game and multiplayer battle means a fresh set of warlords to command and new strategic depth to discover. The newest chapter in Firefly Studios' real-time strategy series, Stronghold: Warlords is Firefly's first game to recreate the castle economies of East Asia. In Warlords you take command of Mongol hordes, imperial warriors and samurai clansmen as you lay siege to Japanese castles and fortified Chinese cities. Besiege historical warlords using new gunpowder-fuelled siege weapons, classic units and a completely new way to play Stronghold.
Following the success of Stronghold Crusader 2, Firefly’s first ever self-publishing Stronghold game, early design work began on their next entry in the classic ‘castle sim’ series. A number of prototypes came and went with the intention of adding something completely new to the series’ trademark gameplay. Lead Designer Simon Bradbury knew he wanted to evolve the estates system from previous games, giving players greater control and strategic options across the battlefield. The new Warlords Map was born from this initial design goal and extended to include unique upgradable commanders with their own unique perks and characteristics. When it came to choosing a setting Firefly looked toward a new time and place for their next title. East Asia was chosen as a suitable framework for the warlords, new siege equipment, gunpowder and troops from different nations. After just over a year in active development Stronghold: Warlords was revealed at E3 2019 and eventually released on Steam and GOG on March 9th 2021. Warlords enjoyed a warm critical reception at launch and is currently one of the highest rated Stronghold games on Metacritic.
- CONQUER AND COMMAND WARLORDS across the battlefield unlocking more powerful castles, armies and abilities.
- RELIVE HISTORICAL CAMPAIGNS from 3rd century BC China, to the rise of the Tokugawa shogunate and coming of the Mongol Empire.
- RECRUIT NEW UNITS including imperial fire lancers, disciplined samurai, Mongolian horse archers and deadly ninja.
- RAZE YOUR ENEMIES with the arrival of gunpowder and new siege weapons like the hwacha arrow launcher, siege tower and fire oxen!
- BECOME THE GREATEST LORD through fear or admiration using a range of medieval entertainment, taxation and torture.
Gamescom Trailer - YouTube
Launch Trailer - YouTube
Co-op Gameplay - YouTube
Meet the AI - YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Official Selection" Indie MEGABOOTH
- "Official Selection" BitSummit Gaiden
- "Best of E3 - Round Up" Newsweek
- "Best of E3 - Nominee" TechRaptor
- "Best of E3 - Round Up" LevelUp
- "Best Indie Games of E3 - Round Up" Game Rant
- "Best of E3 - Round Up" IBeatItFirst
- "Best of E3 - Round Up" Gamer Headquarters
- "I’ve found at least as much pleasure in playing it, as my 17 year-old self did with Stronghold in 2001"
- Nate Crowley, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "Classic mechanics that have aged like a fine wine, the few additions to the formula make Stronghold: Warlords a worthy entry"
- Robert Grosso, TechRaptor
- "The setting perfectly compliments the balance of strategy, building, and mechanics that the series is famous for"
- Helen Ashcroft, TheGamer
- "When I'm laying out a city or defending it from invaders, Stronghold Warlords is satisfying and almost chill"
- Leana Hafer, IGN
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
Available for free from soundcloud.com.
About Firefly Studios
Firefly Studios is a BAFTA nominated video game studio consisting of around 30 full and part-time staff, specialising in strategy games since 1999.
More information on Firefly Studios, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Stronghold: Warlords Credits
Lead Designer, Firefly Studios
Company President, Firefly Studios
Senior Producer, Firefly Studios