Firefly Studios are looking for a talented UI/UX Designer to join their team to work on a brand new entry in the Stronghold series using Unreal Engine 5. We are looking for an individual with strong user interface design skills and artistic flair to design and create a great user experience for our new strategy game currently in development.
Firefly is a small team so this a great opportunity to be a key member in the creative process for a game at the start of production. This is a new role at Firefly and you will be responsible for the look and feel of a key aspect of the game. Working with the design team, you will use your technical and creative experience to design all aspects of the front end and in-game user interface and work closely with the programming team to implement your designs. You will need a clear vision, excellent presentation skills and great communication to explain your ideas to the team and be able to analyse feedback to improve and realise the full potential of your designs.
You will be expected to jump straight into the project so we are looking for a confident individual with good technical skills and the ability to effectively manage their workload. At Firefly we like to give team members a degree of freedom over their work so you will need to be self motivated, hard working and reliable, happy to work within a team or individually, enjoy responsibility and have the ability to take the initiative and go beyond the brief where needed.
This is a great role for someone in their first job in the games industry looking for an exciting new opportunity with more responsibility. We will also consider graduates who feel they have the skills and confidence to take on this important and demanding role.
- Create functional UI layouts and templates
- Create layouts and elements for the in-game HUD
- Create engaging UI graphics to fully realise your designs
- Provide relevant text and tool tips for the UI elements
- Identify and mitigate risks early and communicate them clearly
- In depth understanding of UI design principles
- Solid artistic skills
- Expertise in Adobe Suite (PS, XD, Illustrator)
- Experience building wireframes and mockups for UI design
- Collaborative as well as a self-starter
- Great communication
- Prior experience as a UI Designer/Artist in the video games industry
- Experience with UE4 or UE5
- Relevant university education (but not essential)
You will be required to demonstrate your skills via a portfolio of finished projects.
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply, with all suitable applications considered equally regardless of age, race, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression. We are looking to improve the diversity of our teams and believe firmly in the value of varied life experiences, backgrounds and cultures.
Salary Range and Benefits
- £20,000 – £40,000 depending on experience and location
- 25 days holiday (in addition to the 8 UK bank holidays)
- Life Insurance
- Private dental and health cover
- Travel to games events and expos
- Monthly company-sponsored social events in London
- Free copies of Firefly Studios and Devolver Digital games
- Options for progression and development within the company
- Flexible working (See below)
About Firefly Studios
Best known as the creators of the Stronghold ‘castle sim’ series, Firefly Studios has over 20 years of history developing historical strategy games on PC and mobile. Enjoyed worldwide by a community of millions, the series has a dedicated international following and hundreds of thousands of active users. In 2021 Firefly were acquired by the indie games publisher Devolver Digital.
Firefly is a small, fun, dynamic, social team, ideal for fun, dynamic, social people who happen to be awesome. We offer a creative and flexible working environment that allows its employees the freedom and opportunities to maximise their talent.
Firefly are a UK based company so we are ideally looking for someone based in the UK. Although we have a London office, we have moved to a flexible working system with everyone at Firefly working fully remotely but with access to the office.